Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I posted this last year and it still goes.


As usual, I am late on this, and it probably won't have the impact it would have had if I had written this shit in September, but here goes nothing.


I feel a need to say something about this past 9/11 anniversary. I noticed something that really disturbed me about people's attitudes during that period of time. I think a lot of folks have let what happened in New York City at the Twin Towers become more about what George W. Bush and his cronies did with the opportunity afforded to them to twist things and to invade Iraq, than about the heroism of the rescue workers, and particularly the NYFD, on that awful bitch of a day.

The firemen who died that day would NOT have hesitated to save anyone who needed rescuing. Their heroism should be what this nation and the world remember and honor, NOT how that cocksucker Bush and his cronies bastardized and used the opportunity to profit from it.

I sat in a restaurant, before a football game on this past September 11th, and during the remembrance ceremony for the fallen rescue workers, watched countless people actually TALK over the ceremony. I was astounded and deeply angered. The thing is, those firemen would have rescued those same thoughtless assholes without hesitation. They didn't give two shits what a person's race or politics or income level was. They would have laid down their lives, because when other people run out of a burning building, their sheer balls and desire to help, overrides the impulse to run, and instead they go in. They do it every damn day, routinely.

Let's make 9/11 about the rescue workers who lost their lives that day, and not the shitty dirty politics of the Bush administration in the aftermath, okay?

The NYFD and other rescue workers lost that day deserve to be remembered and honored. I know I will NEVER EVER forget them. I am, and always will be, in total awe of them. I admire these men so deeply, that I regret my words here are wholly inadequate to express my feelings. They deserve something written by Lincoln or Walt Whitman. No eulogy is good enough. They were the best of us, the best of America. 

5 comments:

Jill said...

Good god you said that well. Thank you.

mrs.missalaineus said...

this is beautiful

xxalainaxx

Omgrrrl said...

Concur!

Wildernesschic said...

That is a wonderful post. You are so totally right, time twists the memory and those brave men should never be forgotten. I am English.. but I feel a solidarity with America so strong that its almost running through my veins, especially on September 11th. I will never forget feeding my kids and watching the horror unfold.. morning for you afternoon for me.. but pure horror and anyone who was involved in the rescue should be forever remembered ...but George Bush is a wanker.. as is Tony Blair :0 xx

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Jill,
Thank you for reading, girl.

Mrs. Miss A. & Omgrrrl,
Thanks bitches!

Wildernesschic,
I get it, Ruth. I get just as upset when things go wrong in the UK. I love Britain, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland as much as my own country.