Friday, May 6, 2011

Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology

On August 19, 2009, Tommy Davis, the chief spokesperson for the Church of Scientology International, received a letter from the film director and screenwriter Paul Haggis. “For ten months now I have been writing to ask you to make a public statement denouncing the actions of the Church of Scientology of San Diego,” Haggis wrote. Before the 2008 elections, a staff member at Scientology’s San Diego church had signed its name to an online petition supporting Proposition 8, which asserted that the State of California should sanction marriage only “between a man and a woman.” The proposition passed. As Haggis saw it, the San Diego church’s “public sponsorship of Proposition 8, which succeeded in taking away the civil rights of gay and lesbian citizens of California—rights that were granted them by the Supreme Court of our state—is a stain on the integrity of our organization and a stain on us personally. Our public association with that hate-filled legislation shames us.” Haggis wrote, “Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent.” He concluded, “I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Scientology.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright#ixzz1LaeOARUa


http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I read that. It boggled my mind. WTF are people thinking, being a part of that complete nonsensical insanity?

mrs.missalaineus said...

the church of scientrology by us in royal oak was like a make out palace- you would be mackin in those steel chairs during the movie and you had to endure the stupid audit after but it was better then making out in the cold......


xxalainaxx

Anonymous said...

I listened to some elder in their org speak on the radio. It was like hearing the teacher in a Peanuts cartoon special. ~Mary

white rabbit said...

All members of the Church of Scientology have comically small penises. That includes the women.

To borrow a few lines..

They can sue me if they like. In fact I hope they do. I could use the excitement.

Denny Coates said...

Paul Haggis has headed for the high ground. He opened his eyes and saw that the bullshit had gotten too deep, and he was in danger of drowning.

Anonymous said...

I was never really amused by scientology. Hate anything that tries to brainwash our minds and shoves rules down our throats.

Thanks for the comment btw. I so agree with what you said.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Ms. Moon,
I don't know. I find it SCARY.

Mrs. Miss A.,
Well, that's one perspective, I guess. Laugh.

Mary,
Yeah, it's some creepy shit.

White Rabbit!
I have missed you. Hope all is well, brother.

Denny,
Yeah, Paul is a smart fellow. I love his movies too.

V,
I'm not amused either. I find it too frightening.