Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jesus Was Fun to Be Around

This shit below [not the photo above] is from a Christian pastor's blog. It made me laugh. And also, I am mean. Personally, I've read the New Testament, and I don't remember Jesus saying one funny thing. Comments in brackets are obviously mine.

The idea of Jesus as a comedian might seem a little unusual, even heretical or disrespectful. But the more I read the Gospels, the more firmly I conclude that Jesus was probably the most effective user of humor and comedy than any communicator who's ever walked the planet.

I also believe that Jesus was one of the most fun leaders in history. While not necessarily obvious in the Gospel text, I believe that crowds followed Jesus everywhere because, among other reasons, Jesus was fun to be around.
[Really they only followed His ass because he could make wine at will. SB would have followed his Holy Ass, too!]

These two facets of Jesus's personality, his use of humor and his fun nature, challenge me as a youth minister and youth ministry consultant, since one of the most pressing questions facing youth ministry practice is about the place of fun and entertainment in it. [Fun and entertainment have no place in religion, trust me.]

I'm a firm believer that the way Jesus used humor and fun can be a model for us. If we can embrace how Jesus used humor and fun and apply it to our own contexts and circumstances, I believe we'll find an amazingly positive expression of the gospel and faith as we seek to share and communicate the good news with people, especially young people. So let's look at these often unsung facets of Jesus's nature to see if we can find some ideas for an appropriate theology of fun in ministry.

Jesus Invented Humor
[Actually, George Carlin did.]

Jesus was likely a very funny guy with a most amazing grip on humor. After all, he invented humor. Since we're made in the image of God, and laughter and humor are profoundly important parts of our makeup, I would guess that in their relationship, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit probably have a good laugh together every now and then. [Do you suppose the Holy Spirit laughs, or does He/She/It actually guffaw?]

20 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh yeah. When I think of Jesus my first thought is, "That guy was hilarious!"
Sure.
What a fucking crock. People will make up anything in their own minds.
P.S. I'm in a bad mood. Can you tell?

michelle said...

Yeah! Show me the humor! Support your thesis!

I can't think of a single humorous thing in the New Testament. Seems Jesus was just pissed off or sad the whole time. And he NEVER smiled in pictures.

Dumbass pastor. Can't blow smoke up my butt.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Michelle,
Dumbass is right. That's all modern religion does--blow ass smoke. Hell to the yeah.

Tom said...

I wish I could hang that picture from my bulletin board or make it my wallpaper at work. SB knows what I'm talking about, all too well...and the real joke is all the humorless, awful, destructive and pitiless things that have been done in the name of Jesus. I also happen to think the Bible is quite hilarious in many areas. It's also the greatest piece of fiction passed off as fact in the history of mankind. Well, that, and any book by Rush, Sarah, Glen, and any of their ilk.

Gosh, you angried up my blood today, SB!!! I needed that! Next round is on me...

Petit fleur said...

I've seen that picture around cyberland and it cracked me up! I wanted to post it, but was too chiken! (Thanks for not being a big chicken, SB!!) I posted the cannibalistic Jesus eating a brain instead...hmmm... maybe I'm not entirely a chicken, ay?...

Anyway, Jesus is the poster boy for the modern day cult leader. He may or may not have been humorous, but he was likely a charismatic, egotistical guy... at least, in part. "I am the son of God..." That takes nads.
Bless your heart SB. And Jesus' too.
xo

Steph(anie) said...

While not necessarily obvious in the Gospel text... uh, yeah. Exactly.

The Dish said...

Have you seen Bill Maher's "Religulous"?

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Tom,
I'm with you, my brother. And drinkage sounds good about now. Lordy, three more hours!

Love,

SB

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Dish,
I saw it and was disappointed. I want to like Bill Maher, but I just don't. He's too snide and thinks he's too clever or something, like David Letterman.

The Dish said...

I agree with the Bill Maher assessment, but i enjoyed it. It made me chuckle a couple times.

Jeannie said...

This guy is just the sort who, a few years from now, is repeating Jonestown or Waco.

Even though the bible doesn't say anything about heroin, I think he would have endorsed that we use it because everyone wants to feel good.

What a schmo.

Mj Rains said...

This was great SB! Your comments totally completed the picture. Besides the wine thing and the healing thing Jesus undoubtedly was a great speaker...a comedian...I'm not so sure. This pastor should perhaps stop reading the same thing over and over again and open his mind to something new.

Hope your week is going well.

Love ya,
Jenn

Mel's Way or No Way said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! I will admit I swiped that photo and made it my desktop background. To hell with what that paster thinks...he's just trying to find new ways to brainwash people.

Syd said...

I never thought of Jesus as hilariously funny. I think serene and perhaps even mysterious are things that come to mind. He also could get plenty angry at people who were greedy like the money changers in the temple. I don't think that he was a stand up comic.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Jeannie,
Your comments crack me up. Really they do. Love you.

Jenn,
The week is fine so far. Hope your's is great.

Mel,
Glad you swiped the photo. Happy you have found a use for it. Laugh.

Syd,
As usual, I'm with you. I'd say that take is about right.

Love to all,

SB

croghan27 said...

FWIT -

Perhaps 'ol Jesus was a real card ... but it is obvious the dudes (all men) that wrote the Bible have the sense of humour of a brick.

We will never know .... too bad - betcha he had some hilarious stories about inventing sex.

(just floating by - good blog)

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Croghan27,
Thank you for stopping by and for commenting. Please pop back when you can. I can tell you will fit in well here. Laugh.

Best,

SB

All This Trouble... said...

The holy trinity supposedly do lots of things without our knowledge. I do not believe joking around is one of them.

Kissa said...

That shit is ridiculous. Hands down. George Carlin *did* invent humor. And I've never laughed at a force fed sermon. I doubt Jesus could make me laugh at one either.

I know I'd follow him for the wine though... Cheaper than the corner market...

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Kissa,
Love you, girl. We could hang. Laugh.