Friday, March 4, 2011

Old Doc Young

I was talking with the Moms last night about the old country doctor who delivered me.

Once, he prescribed some nerve pills for the Moms, and when she came in for a follow-up appointment, he asked her how she liked them and whether she had experienced any side effects.

The Moms said, "No. I haven't experienced any side effects."

Doc Young replied, "That's funny, when I took them, they made my mouth dry."

The Moms and I think old Doc Young sampled a lot of the medications he prescribed to his patients. Maybe he felt it was his duty as a doctor not to prescribe anything he hadn't taken himself. Or maybe, he just enjoyed taking drugs.

We used to pass Doc Young's house and see him out mowing his lawn on a riding mower, with a lit cigarette dangling from his lips, in the near dark.

The old doctor passed years ago, but I still miss him. He was one of a kind.

8 comments:

Vix said...

He sounded like a great guy.
My childhood family doctor always had a fag balanced between his lips during surgery.
One day my Mum went to see him with a rash, he tod her to strip off behind the curtain and come out. "Bloody hell", he muttered, "I need a second opinion" and called in another doctor from the practice. By then my Mum was worried. "What is it, Doctor?" She asked. "Just a heat rash", he answered, "but I wanted to show my colleague what a great body you had".
Dirty old sod.
Love you!
xxx

Mj Rains said...

Sweet story...somehow I remember you mentioning the Doc before, yes? Sounds like quite a character, a person few and far between...

Love ya, have a great weekend!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Vix,
That is hysterical. Probably not to your Mom though.

Love you!

Wit,
Good memory. I did. You have a great weekend too! Love you lots.

Ms. Moon said...

Now I could deal with a doctor like that one. Oh yes I could. Happy Friday, Ms. B. Beloved.

Jeannie said...

Hubby, the kids and I had a great Doc for a while - until he killed himself. One time, I winced during the internal and voice my hatred of the process and he stopped, looked me in the eye and said "It's my favourite part" and he meant it.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Ms. Moon,
Yeah, he was a jewel. I love nutty people who mean well--maybe this is because I am one. Laugh.

Love you too!

Jeannie,
That's wild. Talk about honest.

Have a great weekend. I love you.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dearest SB, sounds like my kind of doctor!

I love Vix's comment. That is priceless. Love you xx

Syd said...

We had a town doctor when I was a kid who would make house calls. Imagine that. He stuck my butt many a time with a needle. Not fun.