Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Just Like the Damn Poem, Okay? Fuck You.

If I want to feature poetry on this blog, I damn well will! Any of my readers who don't like it, can fuck off. Go watch Jersey Shore instead! Go be an ignorant bitch. See if I give a shit.

Dirge Without Music

I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely.
Crowned With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned.
Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.
Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
A formula, a phrase remains, --but the best is lost.
The answers quick and keen, the honest look,
the laughter, the love,
-- They are gone. They are gone to feed the roses.
Elegant and curled Is the blossom.
Fragrant is the blossom.
I know. But I do not approve.
More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world.
Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave,
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

[Edna and I do not fucking approve, and our asses are not resigned.]

13 comments:

Syd said...

I am not resigned either. I am not homesick yet.

That Hank said...

Good choice of poets.

Parabolic Muse said...

I love this poem, and I totally forgot it was Millay. Thank you for the fucking reminder.

Parabolic Muse said...

In a nice way.

Jeannie said...

Sign me up too. I think I've read this before.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

What a lovely poem xx

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, Ms. Bastard-Beloved. That was swoony and lovely and my favorite line is
"More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world."

Mmmm, mmm.
Yes.

Mel said...

Ah, I posted this poem on my other blog, in a book review of the art of losing. This one really really gets to me, as I do not effing approve either.

Denny Coates said...

God damn, that's a good poem. It gave me cold chills. Edna was the real deal. They don't write poetry like that anymore.

Big Mark 243 said...

And neither do I!! Glad you are so cultured, otherwise I may have missed this poem and my life would be the worse off for it!!

Omgrrrl said...

You and Edna should NEVER be resigned. Lovely post.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

DTG,
Thanks!

Ms. Moon,
Yep, that line's a good 'un.

Denny,
I agree wholeheartedly! I thought of you when I posted it. We English majors have to stick together. There is safety in numbers. Laugh.

Big Mark,
Glad you enjoyed it, buddy.

Omgrrrl,
Thanks!

Love to all of you. Thanks for all the comments!

SB

Mj Rains said...

Lovely poem...thanks for sharing.