Friday, September 24, 2010

The Poem SB Chose to Read in My College Poetry Class

Not Waving but Drowning

by Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.


Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.


Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

God knows I was much too far out all my life. A bitch can relate.

Note: If my ass can save a drowning bitch's life by sharing the photo above on my blog, I will be happy to do so, as long as the drowning bitch is not a republican or someone who has a cell phone with a loud personalized ring tone.

11 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That's what I love about you- always lending a helping hand, being a good citizen. It's one of your most striking features, dear SB-Beloved.
(And boy, can I relate to that poem.)

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Ms. Moon,
I KNEW you'd get the majesty of the poem.

I try to be a damn help.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear SB, I love a bit of Stevie Smith and this one is my favourite. Thanks for sharing. Love you xx

Syd said...

I would toss a Type IV PFD rather than be pulled in my the person.

The poem is sad. I was right out there with you in certain ways.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Christina,
I love Stevie, too. And I love you.

Syd,
Type IV PFD (personal flotation device?)? I hope you're around if my ass is drowning. You sound like you know what you're doing.

Big Mark 243 said...

I have this thing about water... same thing I have about the snow and cold... and the same thing I have about the heat...

When I was out in the Atlantic, I nearly walked into the ocean. If the SFC had not came to get me...

... did I mention that I liked the poem?

Jeannie said...

I've been too far out too.

There was a song out a few years ago - don't remember who - that was sort of like this but not. Damn. Wish I could remember what it was/

Parabolic Muse said...

OMG, I LOVE this poem. I put this up on my previous blog, Prism Trail, thinkin no one would really get how fabulous it was to me, and I got SO many comments about it. I love it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Rena said...

stop waving and start dog-paddling! that's what I say to a drowning man.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Big Mark,
You crack me up. So glad you liked the poem.

Love,

SB

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Parabolic Muse,
Yeah, it's a great poem. I love it.

Terena,
You crack me up, babe.

Love to both of you,

SB