Wednesday, September 1, 2010

More Shit SB Says to the Dear Ms. Moon

I always find the fall light so lovely. The fact that I notice it so readily is attributable to Mrs. William Faulkner, who is long dead and gone now, but God bless her.

Mrs. F. once commented to her husband how lovely the diffused light in August was, and of course, her husband, being the resourceful type and likely generally a drunken pain in Mrs. Faulkner's ass, promptly did what all good artists do and stole that shit and entitled one of his books, "The Light in August."

I always think of poor sweet old Mrs. Faulkner this time of year, when the light is special and indescribably lovely.

God bless Mrs. Faulkner. God bless us all.

10 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

And I you!

Jeannie said...

Amen.

You have an artist's soul babe.

Love you - have a great weekend

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Jeannie,
I love you! Have a great vacation.

SB

Syd said...

I read a few biographies of William Faulkner. He was an interesting fellow. Light in August is a classic.

Kathleen Scott said...

Aha, so that's the reason! My book club debated why he gave the book that title.

It was my first Faulkner book and I fell in love with his language.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Syd,
He certainly was. I've read a few biographies myself. Faulkner came from very near where my people come from in Mississippi.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Kathleen,
I, too, love Faulkner. My lit professor told our class that the only book he didn't expect us to read on the required list was Faulkner. He recommended we read the damn Cliff Notes instead. He said that though he was required to teach the book, he did not like it. He said it was way too obscure. I was determined that I would understand, since my genetics were Mississippian in lineage like Mr. Faulkner's. I read it, chose to do a paper on it (The Sound and the Fury), and I got an A on it. When the professor passed it back to me, he told me I understood the work perfectly and that I should be a writer. I was so proud!

Love,

SB

Petit fleur said...

Kind of makes you wonder what other tid bits he stole from her... Interesting to think if he had not married her, he likely would have written differently...

Thanks for sharing that SB! Hope you are enjoying Sept.
xo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

PF,
Thanks for reading. I am enjoying September. I hope you are as well.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Love,

SB

Erin said...

Light in August is one of my most favorite books ever. I loved our class discussions on it in high school.