Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Love this Man

Clint Eastwood on his forthcoming film Hereafter.

“I liked the way Peter Morgan incorporates real events like the tsunami and the terrorist attacks on London into a fictional story. Also, there’s a certain charlatan aspect to the hereafter, to those who prey on people’s beliefs that there’s some afterlife, and mankind doesn’t seem to be willing to accept that this is your life and you should do the best you can with it and enjoy it while you’re here, and that’ll be enough. There has to be immortality or eternal life and embracing some religious thing. I don’t have the answer. Maybe there is a hereafter, but I don’t know, so I approach it by not knowing. I just tell the story.”

11 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

As my friend Pam said the other day, since we do NOT know what happens after this life, we need to act as lovingly and compassionately in this one as we can.
Or, alternatively, as truthfully.
Or, another alternative- like the mean motherfuckers we WANT to be.
Tee-hee.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Or, we can raise hell since there is no hell. Laugh.

Maggie May said...

right, that's how to live, too.

Jeannie said...

I suppose we all want life to be ultimately fair - meaning we mostly think that we deserve better because we've been mostly good so we'll be ripped off if there's no heaven.

Since we don't know and won't until we die (if there is something after) the strong and the vulnerable will always behave how they wish it to be.

Lori said...

I think Clint Eastwood summed it very nicely. My motto is just to live the best you can here and now, and if there is an afterlife, than we will find out at the appropriate time.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Sounds good to me, Lori.

Love you. Happy holidays!

May said...

"...this is your life and you should do the best you can with it and enjoy it while you're here, and that'll be enough."
That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? Nice to know he's not just a pretty face.

That Hank said...

I like Eastwood for many reasons. One major one is that, when he was directing Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the Lady Miss Chablis reports that he treated her as every inch a lady, with great respect and perfect manners throughout the shooting.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

The Lady Chablis is one of my favorite people on Earth. And I mean that. I do not jest.

That Hank said...

You know she's from a tiny little town right outside of Tallahassee?

Sarcastic Bastard said...

No, I did not. I read her autobiography, but it was awhile ago.

She steals that whole film.