Friday, April 17, 2009

A Rant: Paterson and Gay Rights

I don't like Governor Paterson for a variety of reasons, and I think he's doing this to help his flagging political career, but the struggle for Gay Rights IS the same as the Civil Rights struggle. Of course it is.

I'm not gay (I don't think), but I have a lot of gay friends, and you either believe ALL (WO)MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, or you don't. I emphatically DO. It's what made this country great and will make it so again, once the ingorance is waded through.

Why can't everybody just let everybody else live in this country? It's certainly none of my damn business if another couple of adults wants to get married. And it's not yours either! I'm talking to you pinheads out there! It's nobody's damn business but the couple marrying. Have some sense.

Jesus didn't treat people like crap and demean them and make them feel bad about themselves, and if you're persecuting people in His name, you don't understand the first thing about Him. You had better get your Bible out and read it AGAIN.

It's embarrassing and insulting to me as a human being that in 2009, the issue of gay marriage is even STILL an issue. We might as well burn infidels and live in the damn Dark Ages for all the ignorance and stupidity abounding.

I'm with Harvey Milk--who is a great patriot and my hero and also was a very decent human being--we should ALL be OUTRAGED about this treatment of gay people. This persecution is bullshit and it's totally unconstitutional. Here's a photo of Harvey, because I love him, and they may have killed him, but they didn't still his voice or his spirit. Right will win in the end. It almost always does.


If you can't tell, this is an issue I feel VERY STRONGLY about, and I am fucking well past the point of being polite about it. Polite doesn't get things done. I don't want my younger family members to think I sat on my ass and did nothing while this insanity went on. I don't want them to be ashamed of me, as they would almost certainly be if I didn't speak up about this. And rightly so.

Frankly, if you are not gay-friendly, I don't want your ass reading my damn blog. Your hatred is not welcome here.

And remember, right will win in the end.

This article is from the NY Post this morning.

By JENNIFER FERMINO

Comparing his crusade to legalize gay marriage to the country's epic civil-rights struggles, Gov. Paterson yesterday hitched his falling star to a controversial, and likely doomed, bill to allow same-sex unions in New York.

"We have all felt the pain and the insult of hatred. That is why we are all standing here today . . . We stand to tell the world we want marriage equality in New York state," he said.

If the measure passes, New York would become the fifth state -- after Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa and Vermont -- to allow gay marriage.

But that's a very big if.

Religious leaders will fight hard to defeat the bill. Archbishop Timothy Dolan spoke against gay marriage Wednesday -- the very day he was installed as head of the powerful New York Archdiocese.

The bill also faces an uphill state Senate battle. Several members of Paterson's party have come out swinging against it, including Ruben Diaz of The Bronx.

"It's a challenge the governor is sending to every religious person in New York, and the time for us has come for us to accept the challenge," said Diaz, an evangelical pastor.

Several other Senate Democrats -- whose party has only a two-vote majority -- have said they oppose a same-sex marriage bill.

Even some supporters have questioned the wisdom of bringing it to a vote, fearing failure would ruin chances for future legislation.

But Paterson yesterday insisted, "Civil rights don't wait for the right time."

Paterson -- whose poll approval ratings are at a historic low -- dismissed speculation that he was backing the bill to draw attention from his widely panned $132 billion budget plan. He said he has been an outspoken advocate on the issue since 1994, and noted he championed the same-sex marriage legislation in 2007 that failed in the state Senate.

"If I didn't introduce the bill, you could get up and say, 'Is the reason you're not introducing the bill because of your lack of popularity after the budget?' " he said.

Paterson, dismissed criticism from Dolan, saying, "I was christened Catholic . . . But this is a civil government."

Standing by Paterson was Mayor Bloomberg, who said, "I don't think the government should be in the business of telling us who we can or who we cannot marry."

Also on hand was City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, as well as the bill's sponsors, Sen. Tom Duane and Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell, all of whom are gay Democrats.

The bill will give gay couples 1,324 rights that they are currently denied, Paterson said. They include the right not to testify against a spouse and to automatically get a late partner's pension. Other rights are more trivial, like one that gives the spouses of horse-track stakeholders free passes for races.

Meanwhile, Lee Miringoff, a pollster at Marist College, said that the governor is "trying to develop a constituency" by lending support to the bill, "but ultimately, the economy is where things will matter for him in terms of public support."

7 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

I'm pretty sure the pinheads of the world are way too afraid of you to read your blog. Sometimes sarcastic bastardism is a good thing.
Obviously, I'm for equal rights. If straight people can get married, so should gay people be able to. However, I'm sort of anti-marriage. I think everybody would be better off if we had contractual, renewable civil unions for ALL. I've seen divorce leave too much damage in its wake, and I think we gays are in for a nasty wake-up call when we go through it ourselves.

Unknown said...

Hi SB, thanks for checking out my blog. I've been checking out yours and I like what I read. I'm so in accord with you, gay rights is a civil rights issue and I don't understand why so many people just don't get it, particularly black folks. Someone will probably call me out for being a racisit. Can I be a racist for criticizing a group to which I belong?

Keep writing truth.

Anonymous said...

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Polite gets more done than anger ever could. Ask Harvey Milk, Ghandi, MLK... I agree with you on the issue, but you are focusing on the problem, so the problem gets bigger. Focus on the solution... then the solution gets bigger.

nan said...

I wholeheartedly agree. What gives society the right to pass judgment on who a person falls in love with? And for that matter, what gives the government the right? Love who you want to love. Marry who you want to marry. What happened to “life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness” anyway?

Sarcastic Bastard said...

It is great to hear from you, Sheria. I love your blog!

And no, you can't be racist for criticizing a group to which you belong. More pinheadry! I've created a new word, so there.

My best to you! Comment any time. Thank you for reading and following.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Hiya, Ann. You definitely have a point with your comments. I am older now and just have very little patience with things. I used to be more polite and loving. Now, I am impatient.

Thank you for reading. Comment any time.

Love your blog.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Nan,
I am so happy to hear from you! I love reading your blog.

I had hoped that if you checked out my blog, my language wouldn't frighten you off. Ha!

Thanks for commenting and reading. Comment any time.

My best to you.