Monday, April 4, 2011

Quote of the Damn Day: Christopher Isherwood

Fear, after all, is our real enemy. Fear is taking over our world. Fear is being used as a tool of manipulation in our society. Itʼs how politicians peddle policy and how Madison Avenue sells us things that we donʼt need. Think about it. Fear that weʼre going to be attacked, fear that there are communists lurking around every corner, fear that some little Caribbean country that doesnʼt believe in our way of life poses a threat to us. Fear that black culture may take over the world. Fear of Elvis Presleyʼs hips. Well, maybe that one is a real fear. Fear that our bad breath might ruin our friendships… Fear of growing old and being alone.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen and out!

Sarah xxx

Mel said...

Fear is the mind killer.

I tell myself that in my head when I'm really scared. From the movie Dune, which was nowhere near as awesome as the book Dune.

I will bend my body like a reed....
that's the other line from the movie I chant in my head when I'm really scared, like in turbulent airplanes, helps me to relax. That's the part in the movie where Sting tries to kill Kyle with a hidden knife, and Kyle (Paul) just rolls into it and comes out just fine. And cracks Sting into pieces with a word. I love that part.

Thanks for the awesome quote, and for all the great posts I've not responded too because I've been crazy, or gone or just a damn lurker with nothing worthwhile to say.

Hugs.

Danny said...

what they called fear then what would they call it now? blind panic i'd say, inklings so intense, feels like you been caught pissing into the lightening!

Who is Isherwood (excuse my ignorance, love:))? is he a novelist? what would be the best novel of his to read first, if so?

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Mel,
Don't worry about it. I haven't been commenting a lot myself of late. No energy.

Love you.

Danny,
Isherwood is a novelist. I would recommend starting with: A Single Man. Also, the film is a very fine adaptation by Tom Ford and starring Colin Firth. Highly recommended.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

Fear is like that moving housecoat in the dark that is not actually anything but air and imagination.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Dovie,
You know it, babe. Love you lots.

Mj Rains said...

Great quote, SB. It is sadly, so true.
And Mel, great quote from Dune. I'm a fan also of the books and that original movie and mantra we could all keep available to us: Fear is the mind killer.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Very true!!! Love you xx

Unknown said...

I gotta totally agree with this one.
Fear is the devil......

Elisabeth said...

Stunning quote from a wonderful writer. Thanks.